Monday 5 February 2007

straight faced teenagers

I'm walking into a 155 bus full of Chestnut grove secondary students, minding my own business and generally avoiding eye contact to hide my tiredness. It's eight something in the morning but that doesn't seem to stop teenagers from talking non stop and playing their music for everyone to hear. well I use to talk just as much when I was their age, so I can't complain. I randomly look behind me and notice that there's a familiar young boy (who lives in my area) on the bus. I haven't seen him in a while. Eager to say hi, I smile and say a ' how are you'. In response, I'm greeted with a stiff nod. This is the same boy who used to shout 'hi' and wave to me from across the street. His tall height, black cap and serious expression looks nothing like the happy, carefree, fun-loving 12 year old he used to be. But he's only 14? whats changed within two years?

I look ahead and see another young boy on the bus who used to happily speak to me after church service. Now, my presence is ignored and he pretends that he doesn't notice me. What has happened to these teenage boys? I think it's more than puberty.

I'm taken back by it all. I don't understand. I mean, I look back at how I was at their age and yes I did have my my moments but I would usually snap out of them whenever I was out and saw someone I knew. I was taught manners; to respect your elders. Am I the only one who thinks this? I think being cool has taken on a new meaning.

I pray that my little brother doesn't change his sweet character and re-in act the 'Kevin' transformation of becoming a teenager. There seems to be a law that I can't see, one that tells these youngsters that they have to wear a hood, low jeans and swagger when they walk to earn street cred. Saying hello is no longer being mannerly, it's being foolish. As my mum asks 'is being a teenager about being rude and moody?'

well maybe it is?.......what do you think?

No comments: