Thursday 10 May 2007

What I miss about Guyana....

I miss waking up and seeing my Granny every morning, we'd have to hug each other first before we did anything else. She would then put on her classic Gospel music and then open up the veranda doors and some of the windows in the house. She would then go to sit down on the veranda for 30 Min's or so, to watch Georgetown wake up. I liked joining her, it was peaceful, i loved being around my grandmother, we got a long so well, i was soo much like her. For breakfast, as she always did when i was a child, she'd pour me a glass of orange juice in my favorite glass, the one I've used since i was a child, then she'd make breakfast.

I miss the hot sun and the noisy traffic on the road. The bus conductors risked their lives every time they were working on a bus, because they'd skillfully hang onto the inside of the bus with one hand and wave people in with the other, this all happened when the bus was moving.
I miss the old sweet shops at the corner. The sweets the shops sold were always kept in a big glass jar, for some reason they'd looked more mouth watering that way.

I miss the music that would blare out of peoples houses on the main road on the way into the market. I miss the ice cone man who sold refreshing ice cones for 10$ on the street corner. I miss eating fudge from that one market stall in Georgetown i use to buy it from. I miss sitting in the bus when i would go to see my family in new Amsterdam or Linden and looking through the window at the fields, palm trees and sea. I miss feeling the breeze on my face.

I miss going to my granny's church and sitting waiting for communion to come because i liked how the bread tasted, i miss asking my granny for sweets during the Church services. I miss going to my auntie Marilyn's house, going around town with her and her taking me to see her friends. I miss the food. I miss falling to sleep at the sound of the crickets and the hum of the fan when lying in bed under a netting.

I miss the friendly faces and smiling passerbyers who would say hi even if they didn't know me. I miss getting tired after being out in the sun all day and just sliding down into a chair and falling asleep to a black and white movie. I miss home.

1 comment:

anna said...

Bautiful post Tamala! has made me thinking about home too... well "homesick" people unite! See you!